Wow! What a scorcher of a day we had! We had seventy riders, some who had travelled very long distances from South Wales, Scotland and Southern England, which is not easy on a hot bank holiday weekend! The three vets from Frames were really impressed with our care of the horses and their fitnessconsidering the hot weather. Extra water was given to people and horses by our fantastic checkpoint teams, and many gallons of water were used, extra water transported out to replenish the stocks. Gate openers (who were so many this year- thanks) also where they could carried water and 99% of horses drank, some of them for the first time on a ride.
Thanks to Grace for organising the helpers and a massive thanks for everyone who came to help in any way, and of course without you the ride wouldn't take place. I certainly felt we all worked as a Cumbria Group "team" doing our best to make the day a success.
We had the Northern Championship sponsored by "Ridercise" and Alex Tennant won this and our two lovely trophies - congratulations to her. Rosmary Granger came second, and huge congratulations to Julie Banks who came third.
In the 65km Cumbria Cup, kindly donated by Mike and Barbara Jordan, plus a rug donated by Kath McGhee, Emma Martin beat Chris Wray by 0.1 of a second to take first place, Chris coming second and Constance Newbould coming third.
We were visited by the Chair of EGB, Rebecca Kinnarney who presented the prizes and enjoyed our Cumbrian welcome.
Once again, thanks to everyone for a fantastic group effort and a special mention to Kath's granddaughter who postponed her fourteenth birthday celebrations to help on the day.
The Cumbria Challenge Ride Northern Championships is sponsored by Clare Gangadeen of Ridercise, providing prizes and rosettes. Her website is:
- Gill and Dave Hewitt, venue farmer.
- Frame and Swift, veterinary practice, Penrith.
- Rob Atkinson, farrier.
- Taylor's Farm, Maisongill.
- Rogerson's Farm, Maisongill.
- Sowerby's, Great Asby.
- Ronnie Maughan, Farmer.
- Terry's caterers.
- Trail bikers - Steve Stout and co.
- Tamara at Green Garth Saddlery, Dalton.
- Clare Gangaden, 'Ridercise' for all prizes for Northern Championships.
- Barbara and Mike Jordan for the Cumbria Cup.
- Kath McGhee - rug for 65km.
- Technical Steward - Julie Martin.
- All helpers and volunteers without whom the ride wouldn't be able to happen - our "unsung heroes".